Thursday, March 12, 2009

Halfway 'round the world

In just hours I depart from Miami to beautiful, tropical Bangkok (with two stops - Chicago and Seoul, S. Korea).

This is my second year participating in the Alternative Breaks program at FIU, where students travel to volunteer during their breaks from school.

Since the trip is school-sponsored and service-based, there's a strict no alcohol policy. Still, that doesn't mean I can't do my research.

First question: Does Thailand even make their own wine?
Answer: Yes! The Thai wine association was formed in 2004.

Five years? Whoa that's young, considering that most countries started their wine associations before the 1800s.

Second question: What are the most popular grape varietals/growing regions?
Answer: Varietals are a mystery. Vineyards seem to be generally in the southern area of the country.

Google is doing me no good. It seems to be a more popular choice within the vino community to pair wine with Thai food than to drink Thai wine. I'll see what info I can get from the locals.

Be back on the 24th!

No comments:

Post a Comment