Thursday, January 22, 2009

The beginning.

Sitting at the kid's table during Thanksgiving, year after year, I would stare longingly at the adult table. I watched with envious eyes as my relatives sipped on classy, long-stemmed glasses full of dark purple juice. I didn't necessarily like the taste of wine as a kid, but I forced myself to enjoy any bitter bit my mom could sneak me.

Thankfully, my palate has evolved since then.

FIU offers a wine technology course taught by Master Sommlier Laura DePasquale. It goes without saying that I jumped at the chance to enroll once I was legal; thus my love affair with wine took off. Taking wine tech was like opening my eyes – and my taste buds – to a universe I didn’t even know existed. Wine is a culturally uniting experience. Every taste has a thriving history and a life behind it. And the life of wine is a truly fascinating thing.

So I’m not drinking any first growth Bordeaux’s (blame my budget, not my taste), but I do know what I like. And that’s what I intend to write about here.

No comments:

Post a Comment