Saturday, February 21, 2009

What a week this has been

Midterms, papers, group projects, club meetings, chapter meetings, fundraisers...

This is the point in a college student's semester when it's too easy to become completely overwhelmed. This is when I became most thankful for my recent trip to Total Wine.


Yesterday I volunteered at the
South Beach Food & Wine Festival (post to come soon). It was the end of a long day, an even longer week, and I wanted nothing more than to bundle up in sweats and a blanket, and split some vino with a good friend.

The bottle of choice:
Brand - Hermes
Region - Nemea of
Peloponnesus
, Greece
Varietal - Agiorgitiko
Vintage - 2003

Apparently, Greece has been in the wine business for over 6,500 years (who knew?). I've never tried a Greek wine before, but I was feeling adventurous.

The verdict? Yep, they know what they're doing over there.

First swirl. Thick, dark, plum-colored wine left liquid sheets slowly sliding down my glass. Another a quick swirl before I inhaled the sweet, aged aroma of vanilla and oak. Another breath in added strong notes of black cherries.

First sip. Mmmm. A hint of spice. A subtle burn in the back of my throat. And, as I often experience with dry red wines, the second sip was better, smoother.

At $12.99 a bottle, this is one investment that paid off well. A perfect complement to Chinese brown rice and veggies. A perfect way to unwind from an exhausting week.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm <3, I've had Greek wine a couple of times, the Nemea in particular I believe. Once, the waiter actually tried to discourage me from ordering it b/c supposedly other customers didn't like it much. Fools.

    ReplyDelete