Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Careful with the bubbly stuff.

I always wanted to shake up a bottle of champagne, popping the cork in that celebratory, slow-motion movie kinda way.

Of course, I've never had the extra money to blow on a bottle of champagne just to spill half of it on the floor. But I did get to open a bottle of champagne recently, and to my surprise (and slight disappointment), the cork was a twist-off.

(I should specify that technically, I was drinking "sparking wine" since to call it "champagne" it would have to originate from the Champagne region of France. Fun wine fact.)

Apparently, opening a bottle of champagne the old fashioned way can be dangerous.

A twist off champagne cork. Safe. Innovative. The people of the wine industry never stop the wheels from turning, do they? Dom Perignon would be proud.

P.S. The wine itself: André, Calif.; extra dry, extra yummy. The cost is a mystery, as it was leftover and unwanted from my family's holiday stash (one of the best ways, in my opinion, to obtain wine). But I'm confident that it runs fairly low.

1 comment:

  1. I popped champagne for my 24th birthday this past Wednesday (three bottles to be exact). I loved the whole slow motion, movie, cork flying experience - times three. :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete